Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Movie Review Ratings

Before beginning to write out my thoughts about various movies, I will outline my rating system.  Personally, I like the five star system for rating a movie's quality.  It is as follows:

One Star * - One of the worst movies I have seen.  Don't waste precious time on this.
Example: Adam Sandler's "Just Go With It", an awful movie that made my skin crawl just watching it.

Two Stars ** - Disappointing movie.  Not good.
Example: "Public Enemies."  Just didn't click as I had hoped.

Three Stars *** - Average.  An OK movie.  Most movies fall into this range
Example: Too many to count.  I thought "The Blind Side" definitely falls into this range.

Four Stars **** - A good movie.  Well made and worth seeing in theaters
Example: "Marvel's Avengers."  Very well put together, entertaining, funny, and took super hero movies to the next level.

Five Stars ***** - Spectacular movie.  One of the best I have ever seen.  Highly recommended.  A true and often timeless classic.
Example: "Citizen Kane."  Lauded by most as the best of all time.  Watch it and you will see why.  It changed the game.

For AFI 100 movies, I will add an additional rating.  This rating is in relation to the movie being ranked on the list and follows stock analysis ratings.

Overrated - Movie is ranked too high by AFI.  Didn't live up to expectation.

Neutral - Ranked about right on the AFI list.

Underrated - Should be ranked higher.  Undervalued.

For purposes of reference, I will be using the revised 10th year anniversary AFI 100 (2007) ratings to refer to movies and their rankings.

With all that said, let's starting writing some posts.

No comments: